Wednesday, September 11, 2013

DYING YOUNG

Last week Friday began in the normal fashion all of my days begin. I said my good byes to everyone at home before leaving for the office. While driving down to my work place, situated in northmead, I heard my phone ring but I decided I would call whoever was calling when I got to the office. So I got to the office, put my handbag and laptop bag down, and began to unpack the laptop and set it down on my desk as I usually do before I eventually take my seat. After settling down, I took my phone out of the bag to check who had been calling. It was my sister and I wondered what she wanted to say to me that had to be said so early in the day.
 
I eventually called her back and the news I received from the other end of the line was not anything one can get used to. One of my first cousins had passed away. It hit me so hard.............I could not believe what I had just heard. My thoughts went back to the moments I had seen him and I was filled with so much sadness.
 
We buried him on Monday and he was only 21. Looking back at the time I was 21, I had so many dreams and so many things I wanted to achieve. And even now at the age of 23, I still have so many dreams and ambitions, so many things I would love to achieve. But there's one thing we always forget, our days are numbered and when our time is up it will be time to go home. None of us think of dying young. When we think of death, we always think of it as happening when we are old and grey but we are not assured of tomorrow or today or the next second.
 
Therefore, regardless of what our dreams and ambitions may be, our most important ambition should be to serve the Lord and live for Him always. Spurgeon's lesson for today points out the fact that our object for life should be, "for me to live is Christ". All else is sinking sand. Death has a way of reminding us that we are pilgrims on a journey, we have not arrived at our destination yet. However, sadly we often forget this and treat this passing earth as if we are going to be here forever. A visit to the grave yard reminds us that we are not. For dust we are and to dust we shall return.

My cousin will be surely missed by all of us as his family but just like him this world is not our home, we are just passing through. We should make it our chief goal therefore, to live lives that matter. A life that matters is a life lived in and for Christ. ALL ELSE IS SINKING SAND!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment